Troops of the Joint Task Force (North East), operating under Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK), have rescued 47 persons mostly women and children from an Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) enclave in Kangarwa, Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State.
The rescue was confirmed in a statement issued by OPHK’s Acting Military Information Officer, Captain Mohammed Goni, on Tuesday in Maiduguri.
According to Goni, the victims were freed following sustained offensive operations against ISWAP strongholds across the Lake Chad region. He said a combination of aggressive ground and air assaults forced terrorists to abandon their positions in disarray, creating an opening for the captives — who had been held for an extended period — to escape.
The rescued persons are currently receiving medical attention at a secure location, with arrangements underway to provide humanitarian assistance. Relevant agencies are also working with the military to support their rehabilitation and eventual reintegration into their communities.
Goni said the operation underscored Operation Hadin Kai’s dual mandate of protecting civilians and degrading terrorist capabilities across the North-East. He reaffirmed the Theatre Command’s commitment to intensifying operations aimed at dismantling remaining ISWAP networks and restoring lasting peace to the region.
The military has in recent months stepped up operations across the Lake Chad Basin and the Sambisa forest axis, recording a series of successes including the rescue of captives, recovery of weapons, and the neutralisation of scores of insurgents.
READ ALSO:
- Sowore Slams NDLEA Over Cannabis Farm Destruction, Demands Legalisation
- Osun Poll: I Respect INEC’s Decision to Declare Adeleke Winner – Oyebamiji
- In Defence of Governor Dauda Lawal’s Administration Against Social Media Campaign of Calumny | By Oladapo Sofowora
- Customs arrests importer, clearing agent over 399 smuggled rifles at Tin Can Island
- Sowore Criticises IBB at 85, Says Former Leader’s Rule Hurt Nigeria

