The Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has visited Oyo State following the recent terrorist attack and abduction incident recorded in Oriire Local Government Area on May 15, 2026.
During the visit, the police chief expressed deep sorrow over the attack, extending condolences to families who lost loved ones. He strongly condemned the incident, describing it as unacceptable, and assured that security forces were fully committed to restoring peace in the affected communities.
He held a closed-door briefing with the Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, CP Abimbola Olugbenga, alongside other security stakeholders, where updates were given on ongoing rescue missions and operational deployments.
Disu assured residents that the Nigeria Police Force, working with other security agencies, had intensified intelligence operations, coordinated search-and-rescue efforts, and tactical responses aimed at securing the release of abducted victims and apprehending the attackers.
He reaffirmed: “The Nigeria Police Force remains fully committed to the protection of schools, communities, and all citizens across the country.”
Amotekun, Others Intensify Search
Meanwhile, the Oyo State Security Network Agency (Amotekun Corps) confirmed that joint operations were ongoing across forests and neighbouring communities in a bid to rescue the victims.
The Corps Commandant, Col. Olayanju Olayinka (retd), said operatives, alongside local hunters and vigilante groups, were combing suspected hideouts linked to the kidnappers.
“Our personnel are already combing the forests and suspected hideouts. We are working with all relevant stakeholders to ensure the safe rescue of the victims,” he said.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Olayinka Ayanlade, also disclosed that tactical and intelligence teams had been deployed immediately after the attack. He added that the Commissioner of Police had ordered a full-scale manhunt for the perpetrators.
According to him, “The police command has mobilised all necessary resources to rescue the abducted pupils and arrest the criminals behind the incident.”
Oyo State Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Prince Dotun Oyelade, said the government was working closely with security agencies to ensure the safe return of the abducted children.
He said the state was deeply concerned and fully committed to resolving the crisis.
Senate Moves to Fast-Track State Police Bill
In response to the growing insecurity, the Senate has condemned the recent abduction of students and teachers in both Borno and Oyo states within 24 hours.
Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, in a statement, described the repeated kidnappings as a national emergency that must be urgently addressed.
He stressed that the rising attacks on schools were worsening Nigeria’s out-of-school children crisis and undermining national development.
Bamidele also disclosed that the Senate would accelerate legislative work on the proposed state police framework once plenary resumes on June 2, 2026.
He said the National Assembly would prioritise laws aimed at strengthening internal security and ensuring safer learning environments across the country.
READ ALSO:
- Zamfara State Approves Enhanced Pension Payouts for Retired Public Workers
- Desmond Elliot Breaks Silence: “I Thought Obasa’s Impeachment Order Came From Tinubu”
- PDP Kicks Off 2027 Election Screening for Presidential, Governorship, and Legislative Aspirants
- Makinde Reacts to Killing of Abducted Teacher in Oyo School Attack
- Dangote Cuts Jet Fuel Price to ₦1,650

