Former Vice President and African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has promised to reinstate the fuel subsidy if he wins the 2027 presidential election.
Atiku made the pledge during an interview circulating on social media, where he criticised the economic consequences of the subsidy removal introduced by President Bola Tinubu in May 2023.
The former vice president argued that Nigerians had yet to see sufficient benefits from the policy, despite the Federal Government’s claim that removing the subsidy had freed up funds for development and public spending.
He questioned how the savings from the policy had been utilised, particularly in areas such as healthcare, education and national security.
Atiku said he initially did not oppose the removal of the subsidy but changed his position after observing its impact on Nigerians, particularly the increase in petrol prices, transportation costs and the prices of goods and services.
He asked what had happened to the funds previously spent on subsidising petrol and whether the savings had been effectively channelled into improving the lives of citizens.
The ADC presidential candidate subsequently pledged to reverse the policy if elected president.
“If I win the presidential election, I will restore the subsidy,” Atiku said, adding that anyone found to have stolen funds meant for fuel subsidy should be made to return the money.
His position comes shortly after the Federal Government disclosed that subsidy removal and foreign exchange reforms generated an additional ₦15.8 trillion for the federation between June 2023 and December 2025.
The Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Taiwo Oyedele, disclosed the figure on Wednesday while presenting the government’s “Nigerians’ Reform Scorecard.”
Oyedele said the reforms had expanded government revenues and increased the resources available for public expenditure.
The contrasting positions highlight a growing debate over the economic impact and future of the fuel subsidy ahead of the 2027 presidential election.
READ ALSO:
- Tinubu Orders Arrest of Nwabueze, Suspends Three Permanent Secretaries Over Fresh Fake Agency Scandal
- Governor Dauda Lawal Distributes Official Vehicles to Judicial Officers, Clears Over ₦600 Million Allowance Backlog
- Arsenal Complete £51m Signing Of Konsa, Confirm Partey’s Move To Al-Shabab
- 2027: Adeleke Is With Us, Wike Says, Predicts Bigger Coalition for Tinubu
- FG Declares Tuesday Public Holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

