Governor Seyi Makinde has reacted to the killing of a teacher following the abduction of pupils, students, and teachers in schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
Speaking on Monday at his residence in Ibadan, the governor confirmed that seven students were kidnapped from a community secondary school, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were abducted from a primary and nursery school. He also confirmed that one of the victims had been killed.
Makinde described the situation as highly tense and still unfolding, noting that security agencies were actively conducting rescue operations in the affected area.
He said the state government had established an operational situation room at the Oyo State Police Command headquarters to coordinate efforts and ensure accurate information is shared with the public.
According to him, government is open to engaging with the abductors where necessary, but insisted that the state will not yield to terrorism under any circumstance.
He appealed for calm and responsible reporting, stressing that the crisis involves human lives and remains sensitive.
The governor also disclosed that surveillance aircraft procured by the state had arrived in the country and were being assembled, adding that they would become operational by the end of June. He said the aircraft were intended to strengthen monitoring of border communities and improve security coverage across Oyo State and its neighbouring areas.
Makinde further urged the abductors to release all victims unconditionally, saying the government is committed to securing their safe return.
READ ALSO:
- Zamfara State Approves Enhanced Pension Payouts for Retired Public Workers
- Desmond Elliot Breaks Silence: “I Thought Obasa’s Impeachment Order Came From Tinubu”
- PDP Kicks Off 2027 Election Screening for Presidential, Governorship, and Legislative Aspirants
- Makinde Reacts to Killing of Abducted Teacher in Oyo School Attack
- Dangote Cuts Jet Fuel Price to ₦1,650

